For those who haven’t heard of the Soda-Stream, it’s a system for making your own soda at home. The core of the system is the machine, which makes carbonated water, that you can then mix with syrups that they make. It’s way cheaper than buying soda, and also a lot better for the planet.
We are still in the process of testing ours out – we’ll be writing a review once we’ve given it a full testing, so stay tuned for that. So far, I will say that it’s a pretty cool machine.
So today, in the spirit of being ‘frugal’ and natural, I decided to make a really simple soda from scratch, instead of using the pre-made syrups. Here’s what I came up with:
- mix equal parts of sugar and boiling water, stirring until the sugar dissolves completely, then chill.
- 1/4 cup chilled simple syrup (above).
- 1-1/4 cup chilled carbonated water from the Soda-Stream.
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
You could adjust the sweetness or citrus to your own taste; also other sweeteners could be used.
HAVE A RECIPE TO SHARE?? If you’ve ever made your own soda and have a recipe to share, please do! Or, if you have any ideas for a ‘custom’made’ soda, maybe we (or another reader) will try to come up with a recipe.